Kabul: Jan 20, a group of four gunmen attacked Kabul Intercontinental hotel. One witness, who prefers anonymity, said that the attackers took some guests and the hotel staff’s hostage.
Intercontinental Hotel in the Afghan capital of Kabul, As per the officials from Afghanistan’s Ministry of Interior Affairs. Out of four, two attackers were killed in the hotel.
Nasrat Rahimi, deputy spokesman of Afghan Special Forces, confirms they are trying to keep the attackers engage. Nasrat, also confirmed several people have died and at least six wounded. Intercontinental hotel is a five-star hotel and had Foreigners are among the hotel guests, but it wasn’t certain how many or their nationalities
The US State Department had warned this could be a week of a possible attack in Kabul (Capital of Afghan).
The U.S. embassy in Kabul issued a warning alert on Thursday, Twitter:
“Security Alert for Kabul, Afghanistan: reports that extremist groups may be planning an attack against hotels in Kabul, such as the Hotel Baron near Hamid Karzai Int’l Airport,”
Attackers had a large supply of hand grenade which caused a fire in the kitchen and thus hotel caught fire.
Like other high profile protected area, intercontinental had a high security, yet no one claims of the attacks. This has been perilous situation and Afghan capital Kabul had attack couple of attacks, where several civilians were killed in previous years
Intercontinental was attacked previously in 2011, by Taliban fighters. The hotel had a planned IT conference due on Sunday. The hotel had over 100 IT employees including managers and engineers when the attack occurred.
With series of attack in Kabul, in 2011, 2017, security has been tightened by the government.
Hotel manager Ahmad Haris Nayab who escaped unhurt said the attackers had got into the hotel through the hotel kitchen.They then entered the main parts of the hotel, and many people ran away hearing the bursts of gunfire on all sides.